Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Christmas Candles

Once upon a time I found a tiny little deer candle online and gave it to my sister as a gift. I liked it so much I ended up buying a few more for myself. Now what does one do with several little deer candles? Well, one buys several little tree candles, enough to make a forest, and then one displays them at Christmas.

The candles reminded me of something I had seen in the past, so the next time I was at my Mom's house, I went on a search through the Christmas decoration boxes. And viola! I found what I was looking for... Christmas nativity candles. They were by the same maker: Gurley. Mom didn't use them anymore, so I brought them home and put them on a shelf. I didn't mind if they were semi-melted.

Now, when one has a nativity scene with no angel, one looks for an angel on e-bay. After a a bit of searching and bidding online, several angels joined the household.

And if while looking for angels, one finds carolers...what Christmas is complete without a little bit of caroling?

Gurley (and Tavern) made so many wonderful little figurine candles! They used the parafin that was a byproduct of the oil industry. I only have Christmas candles, but Gurley also made candles for Easter, Halloween and Thanksgiving. They used to sell for just a few pennies at stores like Woolworths, but now you have to look for them at vintage/antique shops or on e-bay.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. You and I have a lot in common. I love your candle collection. I remember having candles like those growing up. You have some great crafts posted on your blog. I have quite a few homemade advent calendars too. And I have one old Christmas tree pin that was my Grandmothers. Don't you just love collecting old things? I have more collections than you can imagine. I notice that you like milk glass and quilting too. The picture you commented on is how our mountains look here in NC. So beautiful!!! We live 2 hours from where that picture was taken. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those figurine candles! Sadly, the ones my family had are long gone.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for your thoughtful comments. Replies to your questions will be posted here, so be sure to check back soon. Have a wonderful day! - Gayle, Garden Of Daisies