Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hedgehog Cheese Ball


This is such a fun cheese ball appetizer to make for holiday parties!  This idea came from a "Country Christmas Ideas" magazine  (I don't remember which year).   I made him for a recent family gathering and everyone loved him!  I used an old family favorite cheese ball recipe as the base, and then decorated him  according to how they had done it in the magazine. 

Hedgehog Cheese Ball



Ingredients:
4 boxes of Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
2 pkg Budig deli corned beef, finely chopped
8-10 scallions, finely chopped
2 teaspoons Accent
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 pound (2 cans) Smokehouse salted almonds
1 red grape 
1 olive (or 2 raisins)
crackers

Mix 3 packages of the cream cheese with beef, scallions, accent, garlic and curry powder.  
Cover and refrigerate for an hour.  Shape like a hedgehog.  
Use the last package of softened cream cheese to spread a thin layer of white over entire hedgehog.  
Use a 1/2 red grape for his nose.  Cut an olive to make two eyes.
Press almonds into body, pointed side up.
Serve with crackers.



PS- I've noticed that this has become a popular post.
Thanks for visiting. 
I invite you to leave a comment or follow my blog.

25 comments:

  1. ha ha! He's too cute to eat though. I wouldn't want to be the first one to peck his little almonds off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little hedgehog is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a CUTE idea that is Gayle! Your cheeseball recipe sounds so yummy! I think I will need to try this. Your recipes are always so good. Before we know it all of this cold wintry weather will be fading as spring comes into focus and I can make the little lambs for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could eat him...he is way too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has got to be the cutest cheeseball ever! My hubby collects hedgehogs and he would totally get a kick out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cheese-hedgie is so sweet! I've done a pinecone one in a very similar way. Too cute (and I'm betting pretty tasty too, lol).

    CHRISTmas Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute! What a clever idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! What a hoot! He's so cute. Sounds tasty too.

    I checked out your tree and it is so pretty. Love the deer collection. You definatley have to have some unbreakable ornaments with cats around! We have a second tree that the kids decorate with all our favorite old ornaments so I get to have "mom's tree" all to my self to decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gayle, I wanted to pop back over here before I start some baking.

    I just wanted to tell you that I understand what you are saying about the warm homes. We feel the same way about our part as you do...in so many different areas. I'm making a call the first of the month to see if I can volunteer some of my time here in our community. Gratitude lists have helped me realize the needs of others as I've given thanks for what I've been blessed with.

    Thanks, too, for the note about the cheeseball. It just sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is just the cutest cheese ball ever! I'd almost hate to cut into him. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I hope I get time to make one of these for the holidays. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is sooo adorable. I can't wait to make one for my fam!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with the others, he is just too cute to eat!!!

    Thanks so much for the recipe.

    blessings,
    jilly

    ReplyDelete
  14. AWWWWWWWWW! is what I said when I saw your cute hedgehog! Great idea. No wonder everybody loved him. I bet he tasted good, too.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm so going to h a v e to make this. i love hedgehogs.

    xo
    ~molly

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love hedgehogs in general.....this is a really cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute. I bet everyone DID love it.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh i'm thinkin' i need a late-night snack!!!! yummmmmmmy

    ReplyDelete
  19. too cute to eat - I agree! :) Thanks for this. We actually have real live hedgies, so this would be fun! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the cutest thing ever! Love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea!!! He's too cute to eat:))

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so dang adorable! And tasty too is my guess. How cute!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for your thoughtful comments. Replies to your questions will be posted here, so be sure to check back soon. Have a wonderful day! - Gayle, Garden Of Daisies