Monday, July 26, 2010

When The Daughter Asks For Cookies...

We went to visit our daughter this weekend.  Last week she asked me if I would please bake her favorite cookies and bring them along.  We moms who miss our  college students will do anything to keep our kids happy, including turning the oven on to bake cookies in the heat of the summer.  Since I was baking I figured I should join my friends who were celebrating "Christmas in July" here on the blogs.

One of our favorite cookies to make during the holidays are Fanciful Raspberry Ribbons.  I found this recipe years ago, in the December 1993 Midwest Living magazine.   The magazine featured holiday recipes from historic homes in the heartland, and this one was from The Ramsey House in St Paul Minnesota.   

(this pic from the web)

As you can see from it's tattered and stained appearance, this is a well used recipe.  They are so easy to make.  And all the cookies fit on just two cookie sheets, so they are done in no time!


Over the years I made one alteration to the original recipe, because we like a little more flavor in the cookie.  Orange zest.  You can decide to stay with the original, or add the zest like I do.  (This is a handy little gadget to have around.  Makes the job of zesting orange or lemon peel so easy!)



Fanciful Raspberry Ribbons

Cookie:
1 cup butter, softened
2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
Orange zest from one orange (Not part of the original recipe.  I added this.)
Raspberry jam

Glaze:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
3 to 4 teaspoons milk

Directions:
In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.  Add about half the flour, along with the sugar, vanilla, salt, egg and orange zest.  Beat with mixer until throughly combined.  Add the rest of the flour, mixing until the dough sticks together to form a ball.  (Here's another handy little gadget!   I love this silicone spatula.  If you do not have one of these yet, run to your nearest cooking gadget store and pick one up. You will never go back to the rubber spatulas on a stick.)


Gather the dough into a ball and knead slightly.  Divide the cookie dough into 8 equal portions.


On a slightly floured surface roll each portion of dough in to a 9 inch long rope.   (My kids always helped roll these and we called them "snakes")  These do not have to be perfect.

Place the ropes/snakes of dough on ungreased cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.


With a wooden spoon handle, press a long groove down length of ropes.


Bake in a 375 oven for 10 minutes.   (You can see that they puff up a bit, but do not spread a lot.)  Spoon jam into groove.


Bake for about 5 minutes more, or till edges begin to slightly brown.   Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.  Mix up the glaze while you are waiting.  Add powdered sugar, almond flavor and 3-4 teaspoons of milk to make a drizzling consistency.


Using a large spatula, remove cookies to a cutting board.  Drizzle powdered sugar glaze over warm cookies.



Cut into 1 inch slices, on an angle.


Cool cookies completely on racks.  Makes about 72 cookies.  Yummy and pretty!


Last Christmas I took homemade goodies over to several neighbors, and if you look closely you can see the Fanciful Raspberry Ribbons tucked in there, under the green ribbon.



PS-  I see that this has become a popular post.
Thanks for the visit.   I invite you to leave a comment and/or follow my blog.



40 comments:

  1. Hello Gayle,
    Thank you so much for stopping by to let me know that you linked to my recipe blog. I completely forgot about changing the blog background for it when I did the other one at the end of last week. The blog designs I was using for both my blogs were discontinued. I have taken care of that now, but I would have felt really bad if someone had clicked over there and saw the mess that was left when the previous background was up. :)

    I love those Raspberry Ribbons! I originally saw that recipe on Tales from the Coop Keeper blog.

    Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These raspberry ribbons look tasty and rather easy! I've copied the recipe and will give them a try. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Wonderful looking cookies - I'll have to give those a try soon. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your visit and kindness...this is an awesome recipe, just beautiful, a fun cookie to make and give! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look soooo even in July.
    I bet your daughter was happy to see these.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look delicious. I'm going to bookmark this post so I know where to find the recipe when I get in the cookie baking state of mind!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Raspberry Ribbons look so like I have to make them, and who has to wait for Christmas. Thanks for sharing this fun recipe. I can see the lil GrandLoves now, wanting to make these all the time with Grams.
    BlessYourHeart and ThanksForSharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look delicious! I have to fire up the oven later this week and I'm not looking forward to it in our current heat wave. Maybe I'll bake something sweet as well to help ease the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most definitely going to try this one! I am going to use my blackberry jam I made this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like it would be a favorite in our home!
    Thank you so much for putting it up!

    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm. I love anything with raspberry. They're so cute layed out like a pinwheel. Your daughter is one lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm those look good!
    I have the same little zester - good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look wonderful, and they look like they take forever to make. Very impressive for company, it'll be our little secret how easy they are :) Our DD always wanted me to bring a big pan of King Ranch Chicken when she was in college. She is the baker in the family, so I leave the cookies to her! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look sooo good! Sounds very yummy and simple enough to make, I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my favorite kind of cookie any time of year. Love the jam filling and drizzle of icing. It was worth turning on the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look delicious! I am copying that recipe. I hope I live long enough to make all the wonderful recipes I find on blogs! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These cookies look absolutely delicious! It is so sweet of you to bake them for your daughter. they remind me of mini linzer cookies, which I ADORE.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my stars -- those look so good! I've been a total slacker about baking lately, but I must try these!
    Happy summer days to you,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super looking cookies, raspberry ribbons - what a great treat they would make.
    I've just posted the courgette recipe for you on Normandy Life.
    "Exchange is no robbery" as they say!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now I'm so hungry! Your cookies look out of this world yummy!
    I still ask my Mom for her special cookies too!.
    Have a sweet day, Hugs~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are just beautiful. I can almost taste them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look delicious. I surely will make them. Last saturday I made your carrot cake, a delice!!!! I'll made a post tomorrow. Thank you , hugs Baukje

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my I so want these right now!
    I must go get the ingredients to bake for dinner:)
    Thank you for the great tutorial too, its awesome!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for this recipe and great photos too - I've not seen anything quite like these, they look fantastic but fairly simple to make. Son no. 2 is my chief baker and I'm going to show him this tomorrow and see if he'll make us some - if not I'll do it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Gayle...
    Thank you so much for the thoughtful note you left me concerning my Dad's death. My heart was touched by someone I've never had the pleasure of meeting. Your kindness truly was so sweet!!!

    The Raspberry Ribbons were unbelieveable to LOOK at...I can't imagine how yummy they are.... and beautiful!!!
    Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those cookie ribbons looks great!!! Thanks for the sweet recipe. Please stop Grace (formerly Seeking Grace) soon and follow along as I follow along with you.
    Blessings,
    Bren

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG Gayle these were so good. Check out my blog to see where I gave you credit! Thanks for sharing.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yum!!
    How sweet that you baked for your daughter {I'd do the same}!!

    M.E.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi. Thanks for visiting, and thanks for your great recipe. We'll add it to our Christmas cookie list this year.
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  30. I actually braved the heat and baked, too. Those cookies look so pretty. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum-those look good-and they do seem perfect for Christmas-but I think I'd like them anytime ; )

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Gayle...

    Ahhh...what a sweet mama you are! I bet your daughter just ate those yummy looking cookies right up! Hehe! I have never seen this recipe and it looks soooo delicious (raspberry is my favorite fruit and flavor)! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with us...I will definitely be giving it a try! Hmmm...just now thinking that adding a little almond flavoring would be yummy as well! I'm not real big on orange zest. And...I was also thinking that your Fanciful Raspberry Ribbon cookies would be such a pretty cookie to serve at a tea!

    I just wanted to come by to say thank you for stopping in and taking a peek at my Tea Rose bedroom! I enjoyed your visit and sweet note, my friend! Thank you!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks delish!
    I use to bake for my kids in university too and I sent them many boxes with their favorite foods in there too,I got lonesome for them as much as they were homesick too.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  34. Girl, ya got me droolin' all over creation here. Those raspberry ribbons look to die for. I sure would of been disappointed if ya hadn't provided us with a recipe.

    Thanks from the bottom of my heart and the empty pit of my stomach!

    Ya'll have a terrifically blessed Thursday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Out Blog Surfing tonight and these look delicious! I'm going to have to try them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yummmm They look delicious. You are a champ baking in summer. The things we do for our daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  37. These cookies look tasty and easy enough to make my "Recipes to try" folder. I saved it with some of your lovely photos to help me make them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  38. this recipe is a keeper!!!! I am always looking for good cookie recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Gosh, those look good! I can almost taste them! ~~~(Rettabug furiously copies the recipe for future use)~~~

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for your thoughtful comments. Replies to your questions will be posted here, so be sure to check back soon. Have a wonderful day! - Gayle, Garden Of Daisies