Monday, September 27, 2010

Godzilla and Yeti Go To the Art Fair

We went to the Plaza Art Fair this weekend.    We had a great time wandering around  in the drizzling rain,  chatting with the creative geniuses behind the masterpieces, petting everyone's dogs, munching on snacks and enjoying the music.   We love attending this event each fall.

These fun pieces by ceramic artist Doug Spalding spoke to us.


Our son was only 2 years old when he first discovered Godzilla at the toy store.   He pulled the huge, ugly, plastic, lizard thing off the shelf and hauled it around the store with him.  What's a parent to do??  It came home with us and was his favorite toy for many years!   He even slept with that prickly thing in his bed 'til he was about 8.   So,  as you can imagine,  when we saw Doug's Godzilla plate at the art fair, we thought of our son, now away at college.   And that plate had to come home with us. 


I have listened to my Dad tell jokes and stories about the elusive Sasquatch (aka Yeti) ever since I was a little girl.  So when we saw the Yeti raku tile, I turned to Mr. Garden and before I could even open my mouth he said  "You have to buy that for your Dad!!"   So it came home with us too, and will be shipped to Washington tomorrow.  I know he will get a kick out of it.  

Some of you may remember me posting about our naughty little black kitten and her tree climbing escapades this past spring.   She chased the birds way up into the huge tree and then did not know how to get back down.   MR. Garden had to climb about 3 stories high into the branches and get her out, while I was on the ground holding the way-too-short-ladder, freaking out about him falling and breaking his back!    So when we saw Doug's cat in the tree platter,  my husband and looked at each other and burst out laughing.   It had to come home with us as well.

I'm still not sure how this one artist's work seemed to be such a perfect fit for our quirky family, but it was. 

A few more photo's from that evening:




Do you appreciate art, too?
Please support the arts in your schools and communities!

Linking to:
Mosaic Monday at Little Red House

18 comments:

  1. I love the ceramic pieces you got, they made me smile. Have a wonderful week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great advice - and you never know what you'll find! I can just imagine the smiles when your son and FIL open those gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some great sentimental finds. Funny, how you come across things, when you're not even looking for them... I love the plate with the cat and the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet stories! and very perfect finds, definitely will bring smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how that one artists work spoke directly to you. What fun finds. I love art festivals, you just never know what you'll stumble across. And my favorite line in this post is "support the arts" - amen! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love art shows! Have a great week! La

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun show to visit and such a coincidence that you found all those relevant plates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pieces of art, funny how lift can be like that. Glad were able to find treasures for special people and an event in your life. Take care and have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a lot of fun! I bought my hubby a Big Foot shirt, he's watches all the shows about it on TV. I thought it was fitting! HEE HEE! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. charming post. love your story about godzilla and your son. art fairs are always a good time.

    xo
    ~molly

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun pottery. It makes mine seem very ordinary. I love art and craft fairs. With Christmas coming, so do the craft fairs. Yahoo. Glad you had so much fun............Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like those artists had you in mind when they made their pieces. Perfect. Great gifts too - you did great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for stopping by my blog recently. And my condolences on the fairly recent loss of your dear mother-in-law. Rejoicing with you, though, that you, like me, were blessed with a dear MIL. In this day and age when MIL jokes are so common, you and I can truly say "We can't relate."

    Anyhow, what fun memories of Yeti and Godzilla. You will see those things thirty years from now and still be reminded of those precious people in your life.

    I love to visit craft and art shows. The talent of people never ceases to amaze me.

    Have a lovely day,
    Patti (Fill My Cup with Beauty)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We didn't make it to the fair this year due to other obligations but sounds like you guys had a fun time.
    Your son and Dad will enjoy their gifts!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its amazing how things speak to us and even relate to certain things in our lives...and all from one artist too! wow Wish I could see your dad's face when he opens his gift!! Neat post!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like an enjoyable way to spend part of a weekend. Love it that you and your hubby found so many special pieces that you brought home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We went to that one year, years ago. There was an artist there doing a painting of John Lennon while a Beatles song played. It was SO cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting ceramics, sometimes things just "click" and you know they were meant for you. I'm sure your son & father will love them too.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for your thoughtful comments. Replies to your questions will be posted here, so be sure to check back soon. Have a wonderful day! - Gayle, Garden Of Daisies