Saturday, December 19, 2009

The real reason why we bake, decorate, wrap and give

Sometimes we need to stop the hustle and bustle of Christmas preparation and remember the real reason why we bake, decorate, wrap and give.   I play carols on the CD player, listen to daily advent homilies and keep a nativity scene in just about every room of the house. 

This presepio was made of clay by a Brazilian folk artist and has been in my family for many years.


My mother made this "story of the nativity" book from felt and other fabrics in the late 60's/early 70's following a pattern she found in a magazine.  (Anyone else out there make one from the same pattern?)


My best friend gave me this snowglobe  a year or two ago.


My mother-in-law passed this Mexican nacimiento on to me a couple of years ago.  (She loved it so much she displayed it all year.  So I do too.)


My husband and I purchased this creche not long after we were married.


In sweet jubilation, now sing and be joyous!
Our heart’s joy lies in a manger
and shines like the sun in his mother’s lap.
                               - transl. Latin carol 


4 comments:

  1. You have a lovely collection of nativity. I just started collecting and have only 3 bought from different countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you came by my blog and let me know you had posted your own nativity scenes. I especially love the Mexican one since I'm of Mexican descent. How lovely! They're all lovely! The snow globe is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply beautiful Nativity scenes. I am just getting acquainted with your blog.. :) VERY nice!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed seeing your nativities. I have a blog dedicated to my own nativity collection, Carola Nativity Gallery. Your visit is welcome any time:

    http://carolanativitygallery.blogspot.com

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for your thoughtful comments. Replies to your questions will be posted here, so be sure to check back soon. Have a wonderful day! - Gayle, Garden Of Daisies